From the start Sheehan Construction Company was formed as a family business with a dare to dream and a focus on the future. More than one hundred years ago, Gene and Jack Sheehan walked into the office of the Indiana Secretary of State to incorporate their new venture, Sheehan Construction Company. On March 10, 1904 the brothers formed their sanitary sewer business and went to work designing and installing hundreds of miles of sewer lines. Some of Sheehan's earliest jobs were downtown Indianapolis and Camp Atterbury, a military installation located in southern Indiana.
The company prospered in sewers for some time but struggled during the Depression and experienced the ultimate set back when the Sheehan brothers passed away. Coping with the loss of its founders, their nephew, James Earl Curtis stepped in to fill the void and the Sheehan tradition continued. As one of the first companies with the knowledge and capability to assemble sewers, James E., grandfather of the present owners, helped write industry laws mandating that installers be compensated with land if customers neglected to pay their service fees. As the sewer business became more competitive, Sheehan evolved into developing and building single family residences starting with the land the company had acquired from delinquent sewer customers. This shift in gears put Sheehan on the map as a leading innovator in the construction industry, building state of the art track homes offering all the latest features available in the 1940's.